The 2022 local authority elections will be held on Saturday, 8 October.
More information will be released later this year about running and voting for Council. In the meantime, make sure you're enrolled!
How to enrol
- The easiest way to enrol to vote is online – you can visit enrol.vote.nz and follow the simple instructions.
- If online isn’t your style, you can call the Electoral Commission on 0800 36 76 56 and they’ll send you an enrolment form. You can post it back to them, or drop if off to the Elections team at Council and we can send it for you.
- Don’t like talking on the phone? Text your name and address to 3676 and they’ll send the form out in the post.
- If you think you’re enrolled, you can double check your status at vote.nz or call 0800 36 76 56.
- If you have any other questions about enrolling, check out vote.nz or ring 0800 36 76 56.
- You can find answers to frequently asked questions on the Vote 2022 website voter FAQs page
Pay rates in Whanganui but live outside the district?
If you pay rates in Whanganui but don’t usually live here you can find out if you can vote in our elections on electionz.com’s Ratepayer Elector Enrolment Portal or download a ratepayer elector enrolment form. For general information about ratepayer electors visit the Vote 2022 website.
|15 July 2022
|| Candidate nominations open and roll opens for public inspection
|15 July – 12 August 2022
|| Receipt of candidate nominations
|12 August 2022 at 12 noon
|| Candidate nominations close and roll closes
|17 August 2022
|| Public notice of candidates' names
|16 – 21 September 2022
|| Voting documents delivered
|16 September – 8 October 2022
|| Progressive roll scrutiny, special voting period, early processing
|8 October 2022 at 12 noon
|| Election day - voting closes midday. Preliminary results released.
|13-19 October 2022
|| Declaration of results
|October / November 2022
|| Elected members' swearing in ceremonies