How is my rebate calculated?
Your rebate is calculated based on your income, rates and the number of dependants living with you.
The income eligibility for a rebate is $26,150. However, if your income exceeds this amount you could still be entitled to a rebate depending on the total costs of your rates and the number of dependants. Please refer to the application form or your local council for more information.
Find out if you are eligible
How to apply
What information do I need to provide?
- Accurate information about your income (and that of any spouse/partner and/or joint home owner who lives with you) for the tax year ended 31 March 2019.
- Details of all Gross Income (BEFORE TAX) – 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 financial year
- Personal Tax Summary – available from Inland Revenue.
- Wages & Salary -(Tax Summary from IRD/employer)
- Work & Income Benefit & Superannuation -(If your sole income is NZ Superannuation you do not need to provide proof of income.)
- Additional Allowances - Additional to the benefit e.g.AccommodationBenefit – (from WINZ)
- In work Tax credits, Minimum Family Tax Credits & Parental Tax Credits –(from IRD)
- Gross Interest/Dividends earned between1 April 2018to 31 March 2019
- Rental Income/Shares/Overseas Benefits or income
- YourHorizons Regional Council rates bill.
Where to obtain proof of income
Complete an application form
If you haven't received a property rates rebate application and you think you might be eligible, download a property rates rebate application form.
If you live in a retirement village and want a property rates rebate, you will need to complete a declaration(PDF, 595KB).
For assistance filling out the form, use the property rates rebate application guide(PDF, 924KB) or call us to discuss your application on (06) 349 0001.
Return the form to us
Need assistance to complete the form?
Please make an appointment with us via our online booking calendar or give us a call on 06 349 0001
Applications close on 30 June 2021.