Where to find information

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment

From 1 July 2012 the Department of Building and Housing (DBH) was incorporated under a new Government ministry. The new Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) now incorporates the functions of the Department of Building and Housing, the Department of Labour, the Ministry of Economic Development and the Ministry of Science and Innovation.

The MBIE website has a vast array of information relating to all aspects of the building industry. This site has news and information about the Building Act and Building Code, as well as information about the Ministry’s building control services and activities. It also contains free Building Code compliance documents and information on weather-tightness.

Building Act 2004 

The Building Performance website has news and information about the Building Act and review of the Building Code, as well as discussion documents, publications and activities.


Buildit in an online that helps you find out if your building work needs a building consent, and what you need to do before starting physical work.

Leaky buildings  

If you are seeking information on the leaky building syndrome or weathertightness, please refer to the leaky homes website.

The Weathertightness Homes Resolution Service (WHRS) was set up by the Government to assist owners of leaky buildings. 

Need reliable information about house building, renovation or maintenance? Consumer will help guide you through the building process and provide the information you need to make informed decisions about your project.


New Zealand Green Building Council provide a free online check www.homefit.org.nz to help you to better understand and improve the health of your home. It has 12 easy questions with helpful recommendations to make the home more warm, dry, safe, and energy efficient.

Vehicle crossings 

All work on vehicle crossings must be undertaken only by a Council-approved installer. These works are required to be registered with Council by way of a vehicle crossing permit application(PDF, 179KB). We suggest you choose an installer from the list and ask them to apply for the permit on your behalf.

Approved vehicle crossing installers(PDF, 321KB)

Builder licensing

A licensing system for the building industry is one of a package of changes introduced by the Building Act 2004 to improve control of and encourage better practices in design and construction. From March 2012 any restricted building work must be carried out or supervised by a licensed building practitioner.

Visit the MBIE website for more information on occupational licensing

Building Act information leaflets  

MBIE has published a range of information brochures, including the linkage between the resource and building consent process, commercial building information, accessibility, designer, specialist trades and developer information. Hard copies are available from the Council or you can download them from the MBIE website

Useful links:

The New Zealand Homeowner's Building Guide: Your guide to NZ building codesbuilding productsbuilding advice and more.