Building Guides and Application Forms


Building consent process

Simpli guides and forms

Whanganui District Council has adopted Simpli as your main tool to apply for, track and receive consenting for your building projects all in one easy place. View the Simpli website for forms and guidance documents to help your project go smoothly.

Other guides 



Apply for a building consent online

Simpli forms are downloadable in writable PDF format. These can be filled out using Acrobat Reader, then saved and emailed as an attachment to All other forms will need to be printed and filled out manually. You can return your completed form using one of the following methods: 

  • Email a scanned copy as an attachment to
  • Post to Whanganui District Council, PO Box 637, Whanganui 4540. 
  • Drop it in to our Customer Service Desk at the Council Municipal Building, 101 Guyton Street.
 Form  Description

Amendment to Compliance Schedule(PDF, 536KB)

Also see Information Sheet(PDF, 245KB)

Certificate for Public Use

A Certificate for Public Use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.

Certificate of Acceptance

A Certificate of Acceptance may be issued for unconsented works completed since 1993.

Code Compliance Certificate

A Code Compliance Certificate is issued when a job is finished and the council is satisfied building and plumbing work complies with the Building Code and the building consent.

Application to cancel building consent(PDF, 640KB)  

Extension of Time

An extension of time may be issued at the council’s discretion, either to issue a Code Compliance Certificate or to extend the time to start works.

Infrastructure Bond and Acceptance of Liability Agreement(PDF, 129KB)

The purpose of the Infrastructure Bond is to encourage the applicant to ensure that the infrastructure assets are not damaged.

Application for Infrastructure Bond Refund(PDF, 123KB)

To be filled in on completion of the building work once CCC has been granted.

LIM (Land Information Memorandum)(PDF, 301KB)

Apply for a Land Information Memorandum from the Whanganui District Council before you invest in a new property. A LIM will provide you with all the information held by the Council about any specific site within the Whanganui District.

Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work

A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work design work was carried out or supervised on a project, and who carried it out or supervised it.

Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Building Work

A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work was carried out or supervised on a building site, and who carried it out or supervised it.

Notice of Owner–Builder

A Notice of Owner–Builder should be used during the construction process when the Owner–Builder starts or stops using the Owner–Builder Exemption.

Notification to Record Exempt Work(PDF, 72KB)

As the owner, you can place a record on your property file regarding work you believe to be exempt under Schedule 1 of the Building Act by completing this document. Exempt building work is not checked or inspected by Whanganui District Council. It is your responsibility to ensure that the work is exempt by seeking advice from a suitably competent person. Undertaking building work without a building consent that is not exempt is an offence.

Producer Statement – Vehicle Crossings(PDF, 64KB)

RAPID Number Request(PDF, 55KB)

RAPID (Rural Address Property IDentification) serves as the street address for rural properties. It is useful to your service providers like Corus and NZ Post. The RAPID number identifies a property by being placed on a reflective number plate that is highly visible at night.

Statutory Declaration of Owner/Builder

A Statutory Declaration as to Owner–Builder form is used to show that the owner–builder criteria are met, for owner–builders who want to use the Owner–Builder Exemption (which allows them to carry out Restricted Building Work on their own home).

Vehicle Crossing Permit(PDF, 179KB)

All work on vehicle crossings must be undertaken by a Council-approved installer only(PDF, 321KB)  These works are required to be registered with Council by way of a vehicle crossing permit. We suggest you choose an installer from the list of approved vehicle crossing installer and ask them to apply for the permit on your behalf.

Waiver of Infrastructure Bond Agreement for Preferred Applicant(PDF, 111KB)

A builder who is a preferred applicant may apply for an exemption from paying an infrastructure bond on each consent.

To find out if you are eligible for a waiver of the bond amount, please talk to a member of the Environmental Standards team in the first instance.

Works Access Permit(PDF, 65KB)

Works Completion Notice(PDF, 69KB)