Being a Responsible Dog Owner
The "Responsible Dog Owner" classification helps to promote good dog ownership within the district. Responsible Dog Owner status also entitles you to a 10% discount on your annual dog registration fee.
Responsible Dog Owner criteria
A Responsible Dog Owner is someone who:
- has not received any substantiated complaint, abatement, seizure, impoundment or infringement under the Dog Control Act 1996 in the previous 12 month registration period
- has signs erected on or near the front entrance of their property alerting visitors to the presence of the dog
- demonstrates good control over their dog(s) when council staff inspect the property
- has paid their registration in full by 31 July of each registration year.
Your Responsible Dog Owner status will be renewed each registration year provided that you continue to comply with the Responsible Dog Owner criteria.
Responsible Dog Owner training courses
From 31 July 2021 anyone wishing to gain Responsible Dog Owner status must also attend an approved training course on responsible dog ownership. The courses are free to attend.
This applies to dog owners who:
- are registering a dog for the first time
- currently have a dog registered with the council but does not meet the Responsible Dog Owner criteria
You can enrol for this course from 1 July 2021
Enrol in a training course
Once you complete this course your Responsible Dog Owner classification will take effect in the next registration period. This means that if you complete the course between 1 July and 30 June 2022, you will be eligible for a 10% discount on your registration fee after 1 July 2022. Completing the course does not entitle you to a refund of the 10% discount on the registration fee for current period.
Current Responsible Dog Owners
If you are currently a Responsible Dog Owner you do not need to take part in the training course and will continue enjoy the annual 10% discount on your annual registration fee.
To find out if you currently have Responsible Dog Owner status, check you dog registration invoice.