Heritage Grant Fund
The Heritage Grant Fund provides financial assistance to private building owners in the Town Centre to undertake heritage enhancement work.
The grants are for external works that enhance the historic character of heritage buildings listed in the District Plan, or have exceptional circumstances.
Grants are available for projects such as:
- restoration of original features
- parapet reinstatement
- verandahs – new or altered
- painting in heritage colours
- external lighting
- removal of redundant signage
- relocation of equipment, for example, air conditioning units.
Projects that are not eligible for funding include:
- works not appreciable from the public domain
- works that do not preserve or enhance the valued historic character of the heritage building
- additions and extensions to heritage buildings
- repairs and maintenance, for example, damp proofing, gutter replacement
- internal works
- earthquake strengthening works
- new signage
- works to buildings owned by the Crown or the Council
- works to buildings outside the Town Centre (outside the Commercial Zones).
For projects which cost less than $15,000 (excluding GST) funding is available for up to a maximum of 80% of the total cost of works.
For projects costed at more than $15,000 (excluding GST) funding is available for up to a maximum of 50% of the total cost of the works.
There are three application rounds per year (July–September; November–January; March–May) with a total funding pool of $100,000 per annum. Decisions on applications will be issued in October, February and June following the preceding application round. All applicants will be notified in writing of the Council’s decision.
Any applicable Building or Resource Consents must be obtained before application for funding can be considered.
Funding applications must be made before work commences and the project must be completed within 12 months of funding approval.
Funding is not available for works already undertaken.
Funds are paid to the applicant upon the satisfactory completion of all works applied for. Funds are paid to the applicant.
How to Apply
Download an application form(PDF, 180KB) and send the completed form and attached quotes to:
Heritage Grant Scheme
Whanganui District Council,
PO Box 637,
For further information or enquiries, please contact Scott Flutey on (06) 349 3168, or firstname.lastname@example.org