Last chance to have your say on Draft Annual Plan 2026/27

Published on 29 April 2026

Totara Street roading works

Whanganui District Council is reminding the community there is limited time left to have their say on the Draft Annual Plan 2026/27, with submissions closing at 5pm on Sunday 3 May. 

Mayor Andrew Tripe says the Annual Plan is a chance for the community to help shape the council’s priorities and spending for the year ahead. 

“It sets out the services we deliver, where we plan to invest, and how we’re working to keep rates affordable while planning for the future,” he says. 

“If people want their views considered, they need to make a submission. It only takes a few minutes.” 

The Draft Annual Plan includes an indicative average rates increase of around 5.8 percent for 2026/27. This is below the increase forecast in the Long-Term Plan 2024–34 and may be adjusted after submissions and council deliberations. 

Mayor Andrew says the council has worked to limit the increase while responding to higher costs. 

“We know households are under pressure, and the council is facing many of the same cost increases,” he says. 

“Rising prices for things like fuel, bitumen, concrete, steel and pipes affect what it costs to deliver everyday services across the district. While many of these pressures are outside our control, we need to factor them into our decisions.” 

“Last year’s rates increase was lower than forecast. This year’s draft reflects the cost pressures we’re working through.” 

The Annual Plan is the council’s yearly update to the Long-Term Plan, showing what it plans to deliver in the year ahead and how it will be funded. 

After submissions close, the council will hear from submitters on 12–13 May before making final decisions later that month. The Annual Plan comes into effect from 1 July. 

The council encourages people to make a submission online at whanganui.govt.nz/annual-plan before 5pm on Sunday 3 May.

Tagged as: