Lake Wiritoa is a coastal dune lake set among 5 hectares of park-like grounds. It is perfect for swimming as well as jet-skiing, boating and canoeing, or just hanging out with a book or having a picnic.
Lake Wiritoa is a 10-minute drive from central Whanganui on State Highway 3 south.
Regulations for boat and jet ski users
Whanganui District Council has no jurisdiction over the rules on the water. We encourage users of Lake Wiritoa to adhere to Maritime NZ guidelines.
The most important guidelines to remember are that people must not exceed a speed of 5 knots (a fast walking speed) if they are:
- within 200 metres of the shore
- within 200 metres of a boat displaying a diver’s flag
- within 50 metres of any other boat
- within 50 metres of a person swimming
- on a power boat if any person has any part of their body outside the rails or edge of the deck.
Water Ski Club closures
Lake Wiritoa will be closed on the following dates for Water Ski Club events during the 2019/2020 season:
- Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5.00pm to dusk
- Sunday mornings from dawn to 10.00am.
The reserve beach area will be open to the public throughout the season.
Check the safe swim spots map on Horizons Regional Council’s website for up-to-date safety information before heading out.
Kaitoke Road, Kaitoke 4572 View Map