Grants are available for projects such as:
- Restoration of original features
- Parapet reinstatement
- Verandahs – new or altered
- Painting in heritage colours
- External lighting
- Removal of redundant signage
- Relocation of equipment, for example, air conditioning units
Projects that are not eligible for funding include:
- Works not appreciable from the public domain
- Works that do not preserve or enhance the
valued historic character of the heritage building
- Additions and extensions to heritage buildings
- Repairs and maintenance, for example, damp proofing,
- Internal works
- Earthquake strengthening works
- New signage
- Works to buildings owned by the Crown or
- Works to buildings outside the Town Centre
(outside the Commercial Zones)
For projects which cost less than $15,000 (excluding GST) funding is available for up to a maximum of 80% of the total cost of works.
For projects costed at more than $15,000 (excluding GST) funding is available for up to a maximum of 50%
of the total cost of the works.
There are three application rounds per year (July –
September; November – January; March – May) with a total funding pool of
$100,000 per annum. Decisions on applications will be issued in October, February and June
following the preceding application round. All applicants will be notified in
writing of the Council’s decision.
Any applicable Building or Resource Consents must be obtained before application for funding can be considered.
Funding applications must be made before work commences and the project must be completed within 12 months of funding approval.
Funding is not available for works already
Funds are paid to the applicant upon the satisfactory completion of all works applied for. Funds are paid to the applicant.