If you see smoke or fire and believe there's a risk to people or property call 111 and ask for 'Fire' immediately. If you're not sure whether it's a real emergency or not call 111 and ask.

Smoky chimney fires

Whanganui District Council has jurisdiction to deal with smoky chimney fires only. Call the Council on (06) 349 0001 for advice. Issues with this type of fire are addressed as a nuisance under the Health Act 1956.

All other smoky fires are dealt with by Horizons Regional Council under the Resource Management Act 1991.

All other smoky fires

You may be able to talk to your neighbour and ask them to put a smoky fire out until conditions are more suitable – such as when the breeze doesn’t blow smoke in your direction. This may be the best way to manage minor issues.

If you have concerns about a smoke-related fire, please call Horizons Regional Council on 0508 800 800.

If you have safety concerns call Fire and Emergency New Zealand on 111.

Potential fire hazards

If your concern is a potential fire risk you can let Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) know about your concern by completing the online form available from FENZ here or calling 0800 336 942

Please note that FENZ is only able to take action to deal with genuine fire hazards and not where the property is just unsightly or presents a health hazard.

If there's a property in your neighbourhood that you believe is a health or safety hazard because of an unkempt section we advise first talking to the property owner.

If this doesn’t resolve the problem call the Council on (06) 349 0001 to report a concern that does not present a fire risk, such as hoarding and other nuisance issues including vermin control.

Rural fires

Visit the Check It's Alright website for information on the current rural fire season and to apply for a fire permit.