Building Services


​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The Council’s building services team is tasked with ensuring that all building and plumbing/drainage works within the Whanganui district, receive a building consent in a timely manner and that they are inspected at defined intervals to ensure compliance with the national Building Code.

The Building Act 2004, the majority of which was implemented in March 2005, requires increased levels of in-house assessment of plans supplied and increased rigour for on-site inspections. The Council is accredited by International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ) and registered as a Building Consent Authority (BCA) by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

Building Consent​

Apply for a buildin​g consent online ​​→​​​​

Applying for a building consent is now done online. To do this, users need a RealMe® account to access the Council's online application form. 

Applications for building consents must be processed within 20 days working days. Applications for standard garages (residential and rural properties) can be fast tracked providing the application meets specific criteria.

All data is securely held in Council files, as well as electronically, and is made available for public viewing where allowable under the Privacy Act.To allow people to get their heads around the new process, a dedicated person will help with lodging the online applications and a computer will be available at the Council's Guyton Street building.

To make an appointment with a member of our Customer Services Team to find out more about how to lodge your application, please ring 06 349 0001.

Paper building consent applications may incur increased costs.

​​​​Where to ge​​​t inform​​ation

​​Ministry of business, Innovation a​n​​d Em​​ployment​​

From 1 July 2012 the Department of Building and Housing (DBH) was incorporated under a new Government ministry. The new Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) now incorporates the functions of the Department of Building and Housing, the Department of Labour, the Ministry of Economic Development and the Ministry of Science and Innovation.

The MBIE website​​ has a vast array of information relating to all aspects of the building industry. This site has has news and information about the Building Act and Building Code, as well as information about the Ministry’s building control services and activities. It also contains free Building Code compliance documents and information on weathertightness.

​Building Act 2004​

The Building Act 2004 site has news and information about the Building Act and review of the Building Code, as well as discussion documents, publications and activities.

Leaky buildings ​

If you are seeking information on the ‘leaky building syndrome’ or weathertightness information, please refer to the MBIE site.

The Weathertightness Homes Resolution Service (WHRS) was set up by the Government to assist owners of “leaky buildings”. 

Consumer building information 

Need reliable information about house building, renovation or maintenance? Consumer will help guide you through the building process and provide the information you need to make informed decisions about your project.

​Vehicle c​​rossings​

All work on vehicle crossings must be undertaken only by a Council-approved installer. These works are required to be registered with Council by way of a building permit application (PDF, 81KB)​​. We suggest you choose an installer from the list and ask him to apply for the building consent on your behalf.

Approved vehicle crossing installers (PDF, 21KB)

Builder lice​​​nsing ​ 

A licensing system for the building industry is one of a package of changes introduced by the Building Act 2004 to improve control of and encourage better practices in design and construction. From March 2012 any ‘restricted work’ must be carried out or supervised by a licensed building practitioner.

Visit the MBIE website for more information on occupational licensing.​

Building Act ​​information leaflets ​

Building Act 2004 information​​

The Department of Building and Housing has published a range of information brochures, including the linkage between the resource and building consent process, commercial building information, accessibility, designer, specialist trades and developer information. Hard copies are available from the Council or you can download them from this site.

If you are considering building a new house, there is a "Guide to applying for a building consent (simple residential buildings)" available online and in hard copy.

The New Zealand Homeowner's Building Guide: Your guide to NZ building codes, building products, building advice and so much more! There is also a 2018 guide for Central North Island home owners​ (PDF, 6186KB).​​​

New Zealand Buil​​ding Code

​Whanganui's District Library holds copies of Acceptable Solutions NZS 3604:2011 Building Code​​.

Building Con​​trol email ne​wsletter

You can also sign up to our Building Control email newsletter, which provides updates on inspection and consent processing timelines, legislative changes, and updates on building materials as well as general sector news.


List of fees and charges​​​​ (PDF)​


Building consent process

Other guides​​​



All other forms will need to be printed and filled out manually. You can return your completed form using one of the following methods:​

  • Email a scanned copy as an attachment to​
  • Post to:
    Whanganui District Council 
    PO Box 637
    Whanganui 4540​
  • Drop it in to our Customer Service Desk at the Council Municipal Building, 101 Guyton Street.
​Amendment to Compliance Schedule​PDF, 62KB
Application for Independent Qualified Person​PDF, 62KB
​Also see Information Sheet​PDF, 94KB
​Application to cancel a building consent​This form may be used if you do not want to continue with your application or if your consent was issued but you do not want to carry out the building work. ​PDF, 815KB
​​Certificate for Public Use​​​​​A Certificate for Public Use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.​

PDF, 632.35KB
Certificate of AcceptanceA Certificate of Acceptance may be issued for unconsented works completed since 1993.​PDF, 103KB
​Code Compliance Certificate​A Code Compliance Certificate is issued when a job is finished and the council is satisfied building and plumbing work complies with the Building Code and the building consent.​​

PDF, 663.04KB
Exemption under Part 1 clause 2Exemption 2 allows a discretionary decision by Whanganui District Council to exempt proposed work from requirement to obtain a building consent in circumstances specified. PDF, 83KB​
​Extension of TimeAn extension of time may be issued at the council’s discretion, either to issue a Code Compliance Certificate or to extend the time to start works.


PDF, 559.22KB
Infrastructure Bond and Acceptance of Liability Agreement​The purpose of the Infrastructure Bond is to encourage the applicant to ensure that the infrastructure assets are not damaged.PDF, 109KB​
Application for Infrastructure Bond Refund
To be filled in on completion of the building work once CCC has been granted.​PDF, 84KB
LIM (Land Information Memorandum)​Apply for a Land Information Memorandum from the Whanganui District Council before you invest in a new property. A LIM will provide you with all the information held by the Council about any specific site within the Whanganui District.PDF, 69KB​​
​Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design WorkA Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work design work was carried out or supervised on a project, and who carried it out or supervised it.


PDF​, 624.07KB
​Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Building Work​A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work was carried out or supervised on a building site, and who carried it out or supervised it.


PDF, 624.07KB
​Notice of Owner Builder​A Notice of Owner-Builder should be used during the construction process when the Owner-Builder starts or stops using the Owner-Builder Exemption.

PDF, 587.02
Notification to Record Exempt Work​As the owner, you can place a record on your property file regarding work you believe to be exempt under Schedul​e 1 of the building act by completing this document. Exempt building work is not checked or inspected by Whanganui District Council. It is your responsibility to ensure that the work is exempt by seeking advice from a suitably competent person. Undertaking building work without a building consent that is not exempt is an offence.
​PDF, 73KB
Producer Statement - Vehicle CrossingsPDF, 65KB​
RAPID Number Request​RAPID (Rural Address Property IDentification) serves as the street address for rural properties.  It is useful to your service providers like Corus and NZ Post. The RAPID number identifies a property by being placed on a reflective number plate that is highly visible at night.​PDF, 28KB
Statutory Declaration of Owner/Builder​​​A Statutory Declaration as to Owner-Builder form is used to show that the owner-builder criteria are met, for owner-builders who want to use the Owner-Builder Exemption (which allows them to carry out Restricted Building Work on their own home).

PDF, 695.58​KB
Vehicle Crossing PermitAll work on vehicle crossings must be undertaken by a Council-approved installer only. These works are required to be registered with Council by way of a vehicle crossing permit. We suggest you choose an installer from the list of approved vehicle crossing installer and ask them to apply for the permit on your behalf.
PDF, 81KB​
Waiver of Infrastructure Bond Agreement for Preferred ApplicantA builder who is a preferred applicant may apply for an exemption from paying an infrastructure bond on each consent.
To find out if you are eligible for a waiver of the bond amount, please talk to a member of the Environmental Standards team in the first instance.
PDF, 30KB​
Works Access Permit​PDF, 66KB
Works Completion NoticePDF, 69KB​
Page reviewed: 28 Aug 2019 1:16pm