Whanganui demands the best for its community of diverse backgrounds, characteristics, needs and expectations. Older people are a significant powerful economic group, and therefore make an important contribution.
Whanganui offers a wonderful place to live and work with opportunities for all ages. There is easy access to parks, walkways, the arts, cultural facilities such as libraries, the museum and art gallery.
Aim of the Whanganui Positive Ageing Forum
The aim of the forum is to develop ways to make Whanganui a better, or even the best place to live for Whanganui people. The forum acts as a channel for groups to pass on information to the Council and other agencies, and for the Council to channel information back to the community.
Meetings are held four times per year in the Council Chamber at Whanganui District Council, 101 Guyton Street, Whanganui.
Whanganui Positive Ageing Strategy 2013 – 2016
The Positive Ageing Strategy was developed to promote positive attitudes to ageing in Whanganui. The goals identified in the Positive Ageing Strategy are:
- Goal 1: Improve social participation and increase inclusion for older adults
- Goal 2: Be an accessible community (e.g. transport, mobility, health, information)
- Goal 3: Provide choice and independence for older adults in the services they receive (e.g. income security, housing)
- Goal 4: Staying healthy
- Goal 5: Enhance older adults feelings of safety and security both within their homes and within the community
- Goal 6: Develop a positive community attitude to ageing