Resource consent granted for demolition of fire-damaged building

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

2/08/2019 3:25:00 p.m.

Whanganui District Council has granted resource consent to demolish the Thain’s Building at 1 Victoria Avenue.

The Council issued a demolition notice last week for the heritage building on the corner of Whanganui’s Taupō Quay and Victoria Avenue after it was extensively damaged by fire on Saturday, 20 July.

“The demolition notice was issued after Council inspections found that damage to the building’s supporting structures had made it very unstable and a risk to public safety,” says the Council’s Building Control Manager, Greg Hoobin.

“The building is now under the control of Central Demolition who will demolish the building now the necessary resource consent is in place. The resource consent to demolish the building was granted to the owner on Thursday, 1 August 2019.

“Security fencing is in place to ensure public safety. Loose roofing iron has been secured or removed, but Council Emergency Management and Downer personnel are on stand-by in case high winds loosen any remaining iron,” says Mr Hoobin.

The Whanganui City Bridge, Taupō Quay and Victoria Avenue intersection is expected to remain open but traffic management may be in place from time-to-time. It is suggested road users use an alternative route if possible.

Demolition is expected to take about two weeks, with another two weeks for site clearance.

Whanganui & Partners is providing support to affected businesses and is assisting them to resume trading as soon as possible.

ENDS

Page reviewed: 02 Aug 2019 3:25pm