31 August 2018
Council nets $38.8 million in funding support for roading programmes
Confirmation of $31.9 million towards funding for roading maintenance has been welcomed by Whanganui District Council’s General Manager, Infrastructure, Mark Hughes.
Mr Hughes says the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) has approved in total an application made by the Council to support maintenance of the district’s roading network over the next three years.
He says, “This NZTA funding will cover 61% of our costs, providing a substantial boost to Whanganui’s roading infrastructure.”
Mr Hughes says details on an additional funding category for specific roading infrastructure projects under one million dollars have also been released.
“This category is for $6.9 million in total and includes improvements to road safety on rural roads, around schools and at intersections. Projects like the Wikitoria Road culvert and the Fitzherbert Avenue extension are included in the list approved for funding.”
Funding details on the category for projects over one million dollars are yet to be confirmed.
Whanganui District Council Chief Executive, Kym Fell, says the funding is much appreciated. “Our district benefits hugely from this boost from central government and I value the partnership and support we receive from NZTA.”
Mr Fell says, “I would like to acknowledge the excellent work of Mark Hughes and his team for success in securing the funding. They have made a thorough and comprehensive application, including a high quality activity management plan and have been able to demonstrate Whanganui District Council’s proven past performance in delivering to the agreed programme.”
The projects (in the category under $1M) confirmed to receive NZTA funding support are:
1. Rural Safety Improvements - Rapanui Road/No.2 Line/No.3 Line ($120k)
2. Safety Improvements around Schools ($30K)
3. Intersection Improvements ($285k)
4. Wilson St Safety Improvements (200k)
5. Rapanui Road Stock Underpass/road widening ($40k)
6. Whanganui River Road guard rail Safety Improvements (120k)
7. City Wide Traffic Calming ($160k)
8. Victoria Ave/Ingestre St intersection traffic signalisation improvements ($150k)
9. Victoria Ave/Dublin St intersection traffic signalisation improvements ($250K)
10. Victoria Ave/Glasgow St intersection traffic signalisation improvements ($250k)
11. Fitzherbert Ave extension ($975k)
12. Tawhero Shared Pathway (London St to Alma Rd link) ($250k)
13. Springvale Shared Pathway (Fitzherbert Ave extension to Puriri St link) ($245k)
14. London St SH3 Shared Pathway (Gt North Rd to Fitzherbert Ave) ($515k)
15. Whanganui East River Shared Pathway (Railway Bridge to Georgetti Rd) ($515k)
16. London St Shared Pathway (Victoria Ave to Kaikokopu Rd) ($930k)
17. Cycleway signage (City wide) ($15k)
18. Shared Pathway Lighting ($970k)
19. Wikitoria Ave Culvert Replacement ($700k)
20. Mill Road extension ($203k)