Demolition work started this week on three buildings on Taupo Quay.
The buildings, at 1–5 Taupo Quay, are located on the corner of Taupo Quay and Moutoa Quay and back on to the Whanganui River.
There have been buildings on the site since 1908. The current buildings were erected in the early 1950s, with extensions added in the 1980s. Most recently they have been used as workshops.
The area will be grassed over after demolition. Consultation will then be carried out to determine the future for the site.