Code of conduct
- represent, and act as an advocate for, the interests of its community.
- consider and report on all matters referred to it by the territorial authority, or any matter of interest or concern to the community board.
- maintain an overview of the services provided by the territorial authority within the community.
- prepare an annual submission to the territorial authority for expenditure within the community.
- communicate with community organisations and special interest groups within the community.
- undertake any other responsibilities that are delegated to it by the territorial authority. Also, according to schedule 7 clause 32 (6) a council must consider whether or not to delegate to a community board if the delegation would enable the community board to achieve its role.
Council organisation (CO)
Council-controlled organisation (CCO)
- Achieve the objectives of its shareholders, both commercial and non-commercial, as specified in the statement of intent.
- Be a good employer.
- Exhibit a sense of social and environmental responsibility by having regard to the interests of the community in which it operates and by endeavouring to accommodate or encourage these when able to do so.
- If the council-controlled organisation is a council-controlled trading organisation, conduct its affairs in accordance with sound business practice.
Council-controlled trading organisations (CCTO)
Exacerbator pays principle
First Past The Post (FPP)
- effective; and
- appropriate to present and anticipated future circumstances.
Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
House of Representatives
Intergenerational equity principle
Local governance statement
Long term plan (LTP) / 10-Year Plan
Purpose of local government
- to enable democratic local decision-making and action by, and on behalf of, communities; and
- to meet the current and future needs of communities for good-quality local infrastructure, local public services and performance of regulatory functions in a way that is most cost-effective for households and businesses.
- Managing the effects of using freshwater, land, air and coastal waters.
- Developing regional policy statements and the issuing of consents.
- Managing rivers, mitigating soil erosion and flood control.
- Regional emergency management and civil defence preparedness.
- Regional land transport planning and contracting passenger services.
- Harbour navigation and safety, oil spills and other marine pollution.
Single-Transferable Voting (STV)
Special consultative procedure
Statement of proposal
Territorial authority (TA)
Uniform Annual General Charge (UAGC)
Value of improvements
Page reviewed: 22 Aug 2016 3:02pm