Whanganui District Council’s policy aims to minimise gambling harm by:
- retaining a 'sinking lid' on class 4 venues and class 4 gaming machines (pokies)
- allowing only one standalone TAB venue in our district at any time
- setting out conditions for any relocation of existing class 4 venues. We would like your views on two options:
- Option A: Class 4 venues can relocate under certain circumstances, providing location conditions are met
- Option B: No class 4 venues will be permitted to relocate
- permitting clubs to merge gambling licences on condition that the total number of gaming machines is reduced (‘sinking lid’ approach).